Can I help you? No, we don't sell pesto sausage, but we do have little weenies.

Aug 20, 2008

Finally a meme I can sink my teeth into

1) Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.
2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten. (I've given myself some leeway as you can see in my comments.)
3) Cross out any items that you would never consider eating. (there is no food that I would not consider eating.)
4) Optional extra: Post a comment here at http://www.verygoodtaste.co.uk linking to your results.

The VGT Omnivore’s Hundred:
There's a few maybes that reflect some dishes I had in Japan. Sometimes not even my hosts knew the ingredients. And I've eaten squirrel, but I didn't cook it in Huckabee's corn popper.

1. Venison- yes, and other wild meats
2. Nettle tea
3. Huevos rancheros
4. Steak tartare
5. Crocodile-- not yet, nor has a crocodile eaten me
6. Black pudding
7. Cheese fondue
8. Carp
9. Borscht
10. Baba ghanoush
11. Calamari
12. Pho
13. PB&J sandwich-- I could live on PBJ and milk.
14. Aloo gobi
15. Hot dog from a street cart
16. Epoisses-- not yet
17. Black truffle-- white but not black
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes-- Yes, especially if Boone's Farm counts.
19. Steamed pork buns
20. Pistachio ice cream
21. Heirloom tomatoes
22. Fresh wild berries
23. Foie gras
24. Rice and beans
25. Brawn, or head cheese-- not yet
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper
27. Dulce de leche
28. Oysters
29. Baklava
30. Bagna cauda-- not yet
31. Wasabi peas
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl
33. Salted lassi-- not yet
34. Sauerkraut
35. Root beer float
36. Cognac with a fat cigar-- yes to both, but not together
37. Clotted cream tea-- not yet
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O-- not yet, but obviously an oversight on my part
39. Gumbo
40. Oxtail
41. Curried goat-- goat, yes, but pickled not curried
42. Whole insects-- candied grasshoppers
43. Phaal-- not yet
44. Goat’s milk
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more-- Maybe
46. Fugu-- I think so
47. Chicken tikka masala
48. Eel
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut
50. Sea urchin
51. Prickly pear
52. Umeboshi
53. Abalone
54. Paneer
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal
56. Spaetzle
57. Dirty gin martini
58. Beer above 8% ABV
59. Poutine
60. Carob chips
61. S’mores
62. Sweetbreads
63. Kaolin-- My second cousin once removed was a kaolin miner. I've only had it in Koa-Pectate
64. Currywurst- not yet
65. Durian
66. Frogs’ legs
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake
68. Haggis-- No
69. Fried plantain
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette-- yep, in Japan in a soup of some sort, they were very chewy.
71. Gazpacho
72. Caviar and blini-- both but not together
73. Louche absinthe-- nope
74. Gjetost, or brunost-- nope
75. Roadkill-- not that I'm aware of, but I wouldn't put it past some of my hosts
76. Baijiu-- I've had (a lot of) the Japanese equivalent, Shochu
77. Hostess Fruit Pie
78. Snail
79. Lapsang souchong
80. Bellini-- No, but it sounds tastier than a fuzzy navel
81. Tom yum-- I think so
82. Eggs Benedict-- Yes and its lowly counterpart, the Egg McYouKnowWhat
83. Pocky-- and giant Pockys, too.
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant.-- Alas, no
85. Kobe beef-- Yes
86. Hare-- you mean four legged chicken as we used to call it for my cousin who had delicate gustatory sensibilities
87. Goulash
88. Flowers--
89. Horse-- yes, raw in Japan as horse sashimi (ba sashi) or euphemistically as sakura niku (cherry meat)
90. Criollo chocolate-- no
91. Spam-- hell yeah!
92. Soft shell crab
93. Rose harissa-- not yet
94. Catfish-- Yum-yum
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox
97. Lobster Thermidor
98. Polenta
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee
100. Snake-- yes, at camp many years ago

7 comments:

Fran said...

I am laughing hard at #38...
And afraid to ask for verification on #89!

Distributorcap said...

#93 sounds a little personal doesnt it?

Anonymous said...

My list looks a lot like yours. Probably tried almost 90%. Nice to try new things, but even I will pause with haggis. I hope to visit Scotland soon, so I will try it.

One Fly said...

This made me really hungry and I just ate.

dguzman said...

Um--what's a pocky?

Sorghum Crow said...

Google it, dear!
(actually, Pockys (Pockies?) are an originally Japanese confection, a sort of mini breadstick two thirds dipped in chocolate. They now come in milk or dark chocolate, and strawberry (blech), and are also available in a jumbo size.

Suzy said...

Re:#95 -- You eat moles? I'd think there isn't much meat on one of them little buggers. (Just kidding!)

There is no whale on that list. Or haggis. Both of which I've eaten.

Eggs Bennie is my favorite breakfast food to order when I'm eating out.

How about green tea flavored Pocky? Ever perused JList.com? Lots of wacky Japanese snack foods.

What a fun meme.